Saturday, December 5, 2009

Eternal life

I saw this piece of BBC documentary, The Genius of Omar Khayyam, on youtube and would like to share it.



The singer is Mohammad Reza Shajarian, probably the most influential and famous vocalists of Iranian traditional music who is still alive. There would certainly be a lot of future posts, if they exist, about him and his works.

The well-known collection of Khayyam's poems are his "Roba'i"s which are 4-verses poems or quatrains. The one that Shajarian is singing has been translated in the subtitle of the clip.

ps. I remember the time that I got to know Khayyam and was really enjoying his poems. It was the last days of the last year of the highschool years, and me, Ehsan, and Reza were studying for the Konkoor. I used to read Khayyam on those days. I still have some picture of Khayyam's book beside my bed in my head, taken by my eyes! Usually when I read or hear one of Khayyam's poems, the smell of those days blows in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment